Monday, May 2, 2011

Revolutions in the Middle East


Street Ramblings:  The most interesting experience I had today was hearing the chants of a protest going on even though I was a block away.  Off I headed toward the sound of excitement.  I ended up at the London office of the Arab League, a block off Bond Street.  (Sherlock Holmes was my inspiration for being curious.)   There were the Syrians, among the freest Syrians in the world simply because they were not in Syria.  In fact, I was told that some of them can never return to Syria.  Here they were condemning Bashar by name, comparing him to his father, and regretting that the high hopes they had for him had come to naught.  “I am Syrian. Let me be.  Give me freedom.  Don’t kill me.” 

Why in front of the Arab League?  Because it’s Monday.  Saturday is the day for protesting in front of the Syrian Embassy.  They can’t understand why the Arab League backs the UN and coalition forces in trying to rid Libya of Qaddafi, but cares nothing about the brutalities that are taking place in Syria.  Of course, I had to tell them that I lived in Syria for three months, loved the Syrian people (just as the Syrian people love Americans), and that I hoped political change would come to their country soon.   That was the same thing I told the Syrians who were gathered on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House last month when I was in Washington, D.C. 

Travel Tidbits:  (1) Baguette sandwiches are good, cheap (2L to 3L), and available.  (2) All McDonald’s offer free wifi connections.  (3) Anyone staying more than a day should buy an Oyster Card to touch-in and ride the Underground and buses.  (4) Unless you are in a hurry, ride the buses; you see more, especially from the top deck.

Geographically yours,

D.J.Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment