Thursday, May 5, 2011

On to Liverpool

Weather: Today, our five-day blast of sunshine ended, maybe the longest stretch of fair skies I have seen in England. On wedding day, the clouds made you feel like London was snuggled under a blanket. But Saturday through Wednesday were beautiful. And because we are so far north here, the day lasts until almost 9 pm.

The New York Times: At home, the NYT is delivered every morning early enough for me to enjoy with my morning coffee. As part of my subscription, I get the New York Times Reader (i.e., full stories) on my notebook. I have always ignored it, preferring to peruse the paper copy. When I suspended my subscription for this trip, they kindly told me that I would continue to enjoy access to the electronic version. After less than a week, I have come to love it. In fact, when I return home, I may not go back to paper. The Reader draws a signal from ‘the cloud.’ Right now, I am on a London Midland train to Liverpool gliding across the English countryside, and I have full access. Here is the down side: I am now reading an American paper; whereas, in the past I would buy a local paper instead. I don’t want to be so tightly tethered to the U.S., but I now find it hard to justify even a few quid for the various London papers. However, I did buy a copy of the Guardian on April 29.

Liverpool:  Lime Street Station awaited my arrival, about 3 pm.  I dropped my pack at the hostel, grabbed my umbrella, and fit in a quick visit to the International Slavery Museum at Albert Dock.  It would be a perfect field trip for the Virginia SOLs, since the Middle Passage of the Triangular Trade is featured.  Why here in Liverpool?  Because this city was one of the busiest ports in all of Europe when demand for tobacco, rice, and cotton stimulated the growth of plantations in the Americas.  An interesting statistic:  In the 1600s, the plantations around the Chesapeake Bay accounted for 60% of the enslaved population of North America, and those slaves included boatmen, watermen, and crabpickers as well as field hands and house slaves.  Since it was the Triangular Trade, I think the International Museum of Slavery should have three campuses, including one in Virginia.  Whatever happened to the museum of slavery that was to be in Richmond, Williamsburg, or Alexandria?  Then, a third campus could be at Goree Island in Senegal.  Actually, you need a fourth campus in Barbados, don't you think?  Where did the Mary Rose exhibit end up?  The museum here in Liverpool reminded me of seeing the Mary Rose artifacts at Nauticus in Norfolk (could that have been in the 90s?).  But there was added value at this museum:  it reminded us that slavery has not been relegated to the realm of history; it exists today, especially for women and children. 

Geographically yours,

D.J.Z.

1 comment:

  1. I am thoroughly enjoying your journey! Wish I could join you! I was such an ardent Beatles fan when I was young that just hearing the words Liverpool make me get all goofy!

    ReplyDelete