Friday, May 27, 2011

IndiGO


The Gateway of India:  This arch is where India begins.  Doesn’t it just look European and imperial?  It was built to commemorate the state visit of King George V to his Indian dominions in the early 20th century.  Despite its colonial baggage, the Indian people flock to it during their holidays (which is what it is right now; most schools are not in session).  Wherever people are gathered, opportunities to make money present themselves.  Providing food and thirst quenchers are the most obvious; booklets and postcards, too.  I had a huge cucumber, peeled and quartered.  It was as sweet as the one in Egypt that made me sick years ago (still vivid in my memory, but that one I picked in a field along the Nile and ate it).  It’s amazing how cooling a cucumber can be.  Why do we only eat them in salads?  Hawking photographs may be the most lucrative business here and at India’s other heritage sites, however.  Photographers have invested in good digital cameras and they carry portable color printers with them.  It’s a slick operation.  Harbor cruises are also on sale here. 

Back to Delhi: I had a productive few days in Mumbai.  At least, I got some “office work” done.  You see I brought lots of tasks from home to do on my trip.  I left my very nice Ramada Inn on Juhu Beach and arrived at the airport around 9:30 am for an 11:20 flight on SpiceJet.  Delayed for an hour.   Delayed for two hours.  Delayed for four hours.   I finally arrived in Delhi around 6 pm, but on an Indigo (IndiGO) Airbus.  Spices and Indigo:  what clever semantics for drawing the world into India.  They already have brand recognition.  These two airlines, along with several others, are the budget carriers of the subcontinent and they are thriving. 

Geographically yours,
D.J.Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment