Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Here

“Happy Father’s Day!”  I heard Bob and Megan utter those words half a world away.  Bob, of course, had to be reminded, but I have a feeling he will have no difficulty remembering Father’s Day next year.  By the way, it’s a holiday here as well as in the United States.
Three Orchard Road:  I don’t know why I am so excited to be staying at One Orchard Road.  Perhaps it reminds me of all the new fruits I have found in Southeast Asia; perhaps it is the bucolic imagery that seems to fit Singapore; perhaps it is the medallions that are built into the sidewalk; perhaps it is the connection to Von Thunen’s rings; perhaps it is just because I have heard about Orchard Road for so long.  And, now to enhance my excitement, guess what is located right next door at Three Orchard Road.  Hint:  it’s Sunday.  Answer: Orchard Road Presbyterian Church, with services in English at 9 am.  Do you want to guess what other two languages command services of their own?  Indonesian and German; surprisingly, not Chinese.  Do you want to guess what expat community this church was planted to serve?  Of course, it would be the Scots.  The Church of Scotland is the Presbyterian Church.  But is has long since outgrown that niche.  Now the pews are filled (yes, packed to the gills) with Asians, Europeans, and others.  Two new members were admitted today:  one Singaporean Chinese and one Brit.  Like every institution in Singapore, ORPC preaches the gospel of inclusion.  Now, they are facing a leadership challenge.  They need a senior pastor, and two prospects have withdrawn their applications before appointment.  “What’s wrong with us?”...that seems to be the question they are asking themselves now.  (Methodists never have this problem! J)  Excellent sermon, I must say.  I never realized what a pivotal role Jaffa played in the early history of Christianity.  Yes, the sermon was built around a place, Jaffa, and geographers love to filter everything through the map.  I was invited to stay for a light lunch in their large social hall next door, but I had a bus to catch and miles to go before day’s end.
Indulgence:  I am in the wet tropics, almost on the equator.  It’s the biome that produces the world’s cocoa.  The irony is that you never eat chocolate candy here in the tropics.  It melts.  So, it has been an age since I have indulged.  At the air-conditioned airport, the drought came to an end.  I bought the biggest Reese’s I have ever seen.  But, it wasn’t a peanut butter cup; it was a chocolate bar filled with peanut butter.  Never have I seen this for sale in the United States.  I felt I had to try it and evaluate its possibilities for the American market.  Besides, my first teaching job was at Hershey High School, and I passed the Reese’s plant every morning when I came to work.  I figured this encounter was meant to be.  Plus, I had a pocket full of coins that would do me no good in Hong Kong.  In an instant, that bar was mine.  Before I dug in, I had a bowl of wonton soup.  Then, I went to work.  My assessment:  delicious, but I still like peanut butter cups better.  In fact, I have it on good authority that Heaven’s walls are papered with peanut butter cups.
I flew Cathy Pacific to Hong Kong with a stop in Bangkok.  The plane was full leaving Singapore, but I was the only passenger going through to Hong Kong.  I don't know what to make of that. I stayed on board and watched the clean-up crew get everything ready for the second leg of our flight.  They had it down to a science.  Upon arrival in Hong Kong, I caught the Airport Express to Hong Kong Central, then the MTR to Yau Ma Tei.  The YMCA was a few steps away.  I liked the Y so much in Singapore, I decided to repeat the experience. 
Geographically yours,
D.J.Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment